March 1, 2011

Stickey buns - countdown to lent

Since it is getting closer to Lent or Fastnacht we need to store up some energy to make it through to Easter. I have been craving good old-fashioned sticky buns like they serve after church in any basement of any Lutheran Church in the Midwest. I have not eaten a sticky bun since long before I moved to Norway, so to say it was 20 years ago is a safe estimate.
Norwegian "sunshine balls" or solskinnsboller
Norway has a similar sweet roll but it is drier and easier on your waist line. Missfryd has a wonderful example as illustrated in this picture.
But they are just not sticky enough.  So I turned to Google, my smartest friend, who turned up plentiful recipes and pictures. There were 2 pictures that looked particularly sticky and delightful.  Surprisingly, they were both made from the same recipe so I thought I would give What’s cooking America Harvest Cinnamon roll recipe a shot.
Great step by step instructions and pictures to guide you through and details about how to freeze etc. Mine turned out perfectly and I have some more in the freezer waiting for next weekend. I hope the smell of butter and cinnamon have dissipated by then.